Monday, August 06, 2012

End of the Long Weekend

It's the end of the long weekend and I'm refusing to go to bed, because once I wake up it will be time to get ready for work and the rush-rush of my day will take over. I've enjoyed these slow days with my peeps.

Yesterday I went to visit my mother for a bit. My aunt leaves this Wednesday and I'm so sad about that. I feel as though I hardly got to see her this time around and I hate that. She says she understands, between the move, working and my little people. Still...

Last night the girls and I headed over to the park so see if there were any kids for Julie to meet. She's so lonely here. Finally I texted Ian and he came to join us, got a basketball game started and before long he had five kids playing. Julie ended up meeting another girl close in age and they spent the next hour talking and laughing.

I can't remember if I wrote about the single mother I met at the park last Sunday. She has three children, the youngest with Down Syndrome and blood cancer. I was really hoping that I'd run into her again last night and I did. We spent quite a bit of time talking together while our kids played with each other. I'm praying that God will be able to use me to give this new friend some comfort or support.

Julie, Jordan and I went to Lowes tonight to pick out some flowers for the back deck but they were closing early because of Civic Day. So we decided to drop by our old neighbourhood so Julie could say hello to the friends she's been missing for so long. I knew it wasn't going to be a good thing for me to see the house but I wanted to make Julie happy. Turns out no one was around so it was kind of a bust. I slowly drove past the house and my stomach started to hurt. It still feels like ours and now some stranger was living in it. I just felt so sad and displaced. I have always had such a hard time letting go of people, places and things. While I feel a sense of freedom being gone from there, I also feel great sadness. So many memories.  I'm not going to go back for awhile, maybe not ever. Ian said he would take her there whenever she wanted to see her friends. You know, I still feel sad when I drive past the house I lived in until I was fourteen. And when my mother sells her house I likely will never drive down that street again.

My attachment to things is really unhealthy. I must do something about that, because they're just things.

Last week my friend gave birth to her sweet son on the same day another friend's sweet father passed away in India after a four month long illness. I only met him once but I sensed his kindness immediately.  So many people I care about are hurting these days and I am at a loss as to how to help them. Life can really hurt.

I've rambled long enough. My load of laundry is almost finished drying and I need to settle myself down so I can go to sleep. This will be a busy week.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment