Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Before and After

Ever feel like you clean up a room only to have it completely destroyed within the hour?

Me too.

I'm not a huge enforcer on chores. If I ask the children to help out, they do. I guess I feel like since I'm at home all the time that all the housework should be my responsibility. I know that in the long run I'm not doing them any favours, but I just can't seem to help it.

If I need the table set or cleared, the front hall straightened, or Jordan's always messy desk cleaned up, I call out what I need help with and they choose which chore they want to do.

The one that no one ever wants to help with?

The play area off my kitchen.

I don't blame them. Just look at that mess.


It's mostly Jordan that plays here. I try to get her to tidy up but it gets pretty overwhelming for her. I try to break it down by task, and suggest she first gather all her crayons, then stack all her colouring books... but then my OCD & control issues take over and I shoo her out of the room so I can clean it myself before I'm eighty.

Now. Doesn't that look better?


I think so too.

I like this picture. It makes me feel productive. And peaceful.

It stayed this way for almost three hours. Or as I like to call it... naptime.

I am debating whether or not to print this picture out and hang it up for everyone to see, with a big sign saying IF THIS ROOM DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THIS PICTURE WHEN YOU LEAVE, THEN CLEAN IT UP!

Or something.

Am I weird for taking a before and after pic? Tell me I'm not the only one who does this!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Nope when I have a big task I sometimes do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of printing the picture for them to see how it should look! I think that would be super helpful for my boys who just seems to spin their wheels cleaning their room (literally, hot wheels every where!). You're so smart, Kate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken a before and after picture of my kitchen and then the dresser in my bedroom! It's ok, I have even blogged about it. :) Why, oh why, can I not keep some places organized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J and I rearranged our living room and we took a before and after. It makes it easier to see the accomplishment you did with a picture... remember the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" =) I say hang that pic up and let it be shown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! How is it possible that our home is already starting to look like a bomb went off and she's not even old enough to move?! CRAZY all the crap a baby requires!!! Room looks great though. I'm going to have to remember the photo idea for the future...unless I did it for my husband... :)

    ReplyDelete