Monday, October 31, 2011

Too Tired For Titles

My house is a disaster and all I want to do is cuddle with my little people today. November tomorrow? Say it isn't so.

Julie is very excited about her school dance today. Sam? Not so much. Jordan has been practicing her Trick or Treat-ing skills all morning. Sam is going out door-to-door with a group of his friends tonight, the first time without us. I pity the mom that volunteered to take that herd out on her own!

Ian still needs his rest from his operation on Friday so he will stay at my mom's with Matt while I take the girls out on my own tonight. I'm a little sad that we won't all be together this year, but it is what it is. Sam is older now and it's very likely that this is his last year going out. Why not be with his friends? And Matthew doesn't know what Halloween is, so he isn't missing out on anything. As I'm learning to let go of my need to be in control of every little detail, I'm embracing the it is what it is mentality. Tonight will be different, but it will be good.

Sam made his own costume this year. He's going out as a MineCraft character. If I was a cooler mom, I would know exactly what that meant and be able to tell you more about it. But I'm not, so I can't. Julie is going as Little Red Riding Hood and Jordan is Minnie Mouse. We aren't dressing Matt up this year.

On my way home from driving the children to school I turned on the radio. All four of my favourite stations were playing Michael Jackson's Thriller. Awesome.

I was reminded on Saturday that it was one year to the day that I learned I was pregnant with Matthew. I remember feeling a bunch of emotions all at once: shock and fear the biggest. I wore that shock and fear for the first few months before I finally settled down and accepted the reality. I didn't know how we would manage raising four children, or even afford four children. But I accepted it.

And now, a year later, I wonder how we managed without him. God's plans are always so much better and bigger than our own, aren't they? He knows what we need, and what we long for. Things we can't even imagine. He's a pretty cool guy. I feel like I'm getting to know Him in a way I never have before.

The house across the street that I've been spying on for some time is all quiet now. All the painting and cleaning and shovelling that I saw going on in here has all finished up. And as I spy out of my window right now, I see the For Sale sign going in the lawn. I have been praying for a nice family to move in. A friend for Sam maybe. Or maybe one for me.

Jordan has been making huge strides with her potty training. She has been initiating trips to the bathroom on her own and been dry for a few days in a row. She's even woken up dry in the mornings! She's been longing for pretty underwear so I think today might be the day to take her out to buy some. In my desperation to get her trained I promised her Mickey Mouse underwear. I've never seen Mickey Mouse underwear so I have no idea how I'm going to deliver on that one. Disney store maybe? Ka-ching, Kate.

Three more sleeps until I leave for the Women of Faith conference in Rochester! So excited! I still have some gift cards left over from Christmas, so I think I might use them up and buy something to take with me to wear. Perhaps a pair of pants that don't fall down every four steps because I get tired of hitching up my drawers all the time. I've been stressing about the financial aspect of this trip, but the other day Ian's agent called to offer him a magic show that will pay pretty much the same as what my trip will cost. Crazy!

Ok, that's all the time I have for now. Lots to get done before we go to my Mom's tonight.

Happy Halloween!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! SO excited for your trip this week!
    I LOVE your new sidebar pictures! BEAUTIFUL children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I looove Sam's hair!!??! You Have a beautiful family and I'm so happy to read that you don't forget it! You are an inspiration Kate!

    ReplyDelete