Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Review: Outlive Your Life



These are difficult days in our world's history. 1.75 billion people are desperately poor, natural disasters are gouging entire nations, and economic uncertainty still reigns across the globe. But you and I have been given an opportunity to make a big difference. What if we did? What if we rocked the world with hope? Infiltrated all corners with God's love and life? We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~


Whenever I get the opportunity to read a Max Lucado book, I know I'm in for a life changing experience.

The theme of Max's latest book is what you do here can have an impact long after you have left this earth. Who you are, what you do with what you have, how you interact with others will be the measure of how you lived your life.

I want to know that I lived my life well.

But I am aware that I am not living it well right now. There are many people I could be reaching out to, listening to, connecting with, helping, encouraging...

But I'm not.

I have become almost unfeeling to the suffering of the world. My heart can't take the hurt that is out there, so I put up walls.

Reading this book has reminded me that I don't have to do huge acts to touch someone and show them the love of God. Just looking them in the eye, offering them a hand, sharing a lunch... it's all a start.

Max brings Biblical stories to life in modern day with such clarity and a touch of humour, allowing the reader to get a true sense of what that particular situation was like. He tells us we don't have to be these hugely important people in order for God to use us. He says "God doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called." Isn't that great news?

I love how he writes as though he's talking to me across a coffee shop table, telling me truths in his gentle, clear ways.

This book would be a fantastic selection for a Bible study. At the end of each chapter there is a prayer, and at the back of the book is a Discussion and Action Guide to get conversation flowing and minds thinking.

A fabulous read, certain to get you out of the slumps of laziness and out into the world reaching others.

I love how Max says this: "Here's a salute to a long life: goodness that outlives the grave, love that outlasts the final breath. May you live in such a way that your death is just the beginning of your life."

"Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available September 2010 at your favourite bookseller.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Ooohhh... I'll have to read this one! It sounds like the kind of books I love! Kind of like Mitch Albom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review was encouraging and challenging...makes me want to read the book! I love the idea that it could be a study, too! Tuck this title away! :)

    ReplyDelete