Saturday, September 13, 2008

This-n-That

Its been a busy few days and I finally have a few moments to sit down and talk about what's been going on or going through my mind.

Thursday night Jules and I headed off to register her for indoor soccer. YES! I LOVE being a soccer mom and she loves to play. Being that she's been a member of the soccer club for a couple of years now, the registration took less than five minutes. We should get a call sometime mid-October and the first game is end of October/beginning of November. The season will end in March. I hope she gets a different coloured jersey this year. She's been gold for two years now! A third year would just be freaky. The games will be every Saturday, sometime between 12-3pm.

I have a wonderful and amazingly generous friend named Jen V who has been blessing us incredibly with clothes that her two daughters have outgrown. The outfits are so adorable and thanks to Jen, Jordan is very well dressed.

Yesterday I put her in a pair of jeans and the back pockets were so cute I just had to post a picture of one of them.



Occasionally I will tune in to The View to see what the ladies are talking about on that particular day. This past Friday they had Senator John McCain on the show. I was struck by the way these ladies were dressed. Everyone is dressed up with the exception of Whoopi. As you will see below, she wore jeans.

JEANS!

This man could potentially be the next President of the United States....and Whoopi wore JEANS? I couldn't believe it.



Looks like Senator McCain visited the ladies prior to this and look at Whoopi's attire...yep, jeans again.



Am I alone in thinking this is disrespectful?

I don't know about you, but if I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with the future Prime Minister of Canada, I think I would shelve my jeans for that day. Just sayin'.

Moving on...

I am looking forward to the book we'll be studying at the Ladies Coffee Hour on Wednesday mornings. Here it is.



I've been wanting to read this book for some time now and it seems to reflect where I am these days.

Something else I'm excited about these days is this.



The kids are killing me with all the grass and mud stains on the knees of their jeans. This stuff has been a lifesaver. I much prefer Shout but my local store doesn't carry the spray bottle so I went with the other.

Oh my. I am blogging about stain removers. Ha. I love this stay-at-home-mom gig.

Once upon a time in the business world, I used to deal with accounts that would have hundreds of thousands of dollars in receivables. Now, I deal with dishes and diapers and grass stains. I love it.

So there's this guy from the States who has eaten 23,000 Bic Macs in 36 years.



Apparently he eats two a day. I don't know how he does it. They're good, but I wouldn't want one EVERY day. Not even EVERY week. You know, I used to work with someone who knew that eating one of these would make him feel like crap afterwards, yet he'd go ahead and eat it anyway.

My Big Macs never look like the picture above. That one is all tall and neat looking. The one I end up getting looks like it was dropped in the box with the lettuce falling out one side. It also looks squished. Is that picture an inaccurate representation of a true Big Mac or are the kids at my local McD's manhandling my burger?

Oh..excuse me. I believe they refer to these as sandwiches. Why is that? If it's a meat patty on a bun then its a burger. A sandwich is something else entirely. I refuse to call it a sandwich.

I am looking forward to this movie coming out at the end of the month. It looks really good. I will go and see it if I can and then will post my thoughts on it.



It looks interesting, doesn't it?

I've decided to get off the sidelines and in to the game. I want to serve somewhere at my church. It would seem obvious to some that since I have an infant I could work in the nursery. Been there, done that. I don't want to work in the nursery because I can't stand the smell of dirty diapers and I don't like other children's drool/snot/barf/poop/etc.

So...

There is a need for another leader for the Girls Club that meets on Thursday nights at the church. When I first heard of this need I just pushed it from my mind, telling myself that I had enough to do and I would find somewhere else to serve that wouldn't be such a commitment. Someone always steps up when needed.

Then during the sermon, God did what He seems to do more and more often when He wants my attention. He has this way of speaking into my heart that isn't in words, exactly. But it's not just a feeling either. He just puts the Truth in there in a way that I can't mistake it. And while He's doing this, He shuts off the outside world so it's almost like I am not aware of anything else, except for what He is telling me. I love how He does this. I can be pretty dim and miss when He talks to me and I end up missing His message. He knows this about me because He created me. Now when He has something to say He says it and I hear it!

What He was telling me was that I was to serve in the Girl's Club.

I actually argued with Him, if you can believe that. You can't mean me, Lord. I'm not fun. Ian is the fun one. I don't play. I'm not craftsy or creative.

I have talked this over with Ian a few times and he has been so encouraging and loving, pointing out the gifts that God has given me. He thinks I should do this, full speed ahead. I spoke with one of the current leaders to get a feel for what would be required.

Yesterday afternoon I was talking about it with Him and told Him yet again that I don't think that this area is for me.

And then He led me to this video.



Wow.

Its amazing, isn't it? All the images that our daughters see that plant themselves in their minds and influence who they are and who they will become. I want more for my daughter than these worldly views of beauty and worth and value.

And then He did it again. He told me to go for it. Just like that. He spoke into my heart and said "go for it!"

I am hoping to meet with the Associate Pastor at the church to discuss this. The group can't begin for the year until they have this leadership role filled. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing the way He works, the way He speaks to us? I believe that Paul used to argue with Jesus all the time! Well perhaps argue isn't the right word, but he certainly questioned Jesus on a number of things! God is always right though, whether we like it or not!

    I think you would be awesome for the Girl's Club! It will help you explore an aspect of yourself that you probably aren't aware is there! Oh and Kate, you are SO fun!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I saw that commercial for the first time today on TV. Sad, what our culture tries to tell our young people.

    I have experienced some of my greatest blessings (and trials of course) serving in the Children's Ministry at my church. I served as the Children's Ministry Director at my church in Cali for 12 years.... and working with the kids is so great.

    I encourage you to step out in faith! Where God guides, God provides. He will give you all you need to bring glory and honor to Him as you work with the girls.

    Keep me posted! : )

    Love and prayers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete