Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kate The Builder

Today was a very difficult day that yielded a great result!

But before I begin, I have to show off the lovely roses that Ian brought home for me yesterday, "just because". Aren't they lovely?



Secondly, I have to admit publicly that I was wrong. If you are a 90210 watcher but haven't seen tonight's episode, then do not read any further! You have been warned!

Dylan as Kelly's baby-daddy? UNORIGINAL! I am sooo disappointed. I was sure it would be Steve's, so that the show could go for shock value, but nooooo.

Anyway. Enough about that. On to the good stuff.

On Sunday we bought a dresser for Jordan. I couldn't wait for Ian to put it together for me. I was looking at it last night and got to thinking....I could build that. How hard could it be? Well, the answer is REALLY HARD but we'll get to that.

After dropping the children off at school, I drove to Tim Horton's to get a steeped tea. Oh what a luxury. After waiting forEVER in line, I took it home in joyful anticipation of a quiet house, a cup of tea and an intriguing project.



I took one sip from the cup and almost barfed. It was COFFEE!!! Ew. Such a heinous disappointment.

So I began my little project at 9:15 am. Here it is in the box.



I was so excited as I opened it up, separating the pieces, noting that they were all numbered. Then I separated and laid out all the paraphernalia that apparently I was going to need.



I started getting a little intimidated. Ian said something about it probably only needing an "allan key" whatever that was. He was so very wrong.

I cracked out the trusty screwdriver with all the different sized thingys that go in it to screw things in.

Here is the first side of the dresser. This portion of the project took me an hour and fifteen minutes.



Even though I was following my 8 page novel of detailed instructions, I managed to screw in those long brown things in the wrong direction using the wrong screws.

I hope Jordan's first words aren't "damn it" because she heard it a few times today.

Sorry, Baby Girl. :-(

Finally I had the frame done and Jordan and I could break for lunch.



I had to stop at 3pm to pick up the children from school, drop by my old church to pick up Julie's baptism certificate, pick up a few groceries, then pick up Ian. Once we got home, I continued to work on my no-longer-any-fun-project.

I refused to let anyone help me. This was MY project and it didn't matter how hard it was, or how long it took, I would be the one who did it.

My children lovingly ignored me shouting "damn it!" and just kept encouraging me.

At one point I realized that I had screwed a couple of things in the wrong way and had to reverse what I did. Out of frustration I started to cry and threw my screwdriver down.

Sam came to rub my shoulders and ask me what he could do for me. I told him that I was frustrated because I couldn't do it. He said it would be ok to leave it for Dad. I cried like a wimp for a couple of minutes then picked up my screwdriver and started again.

Ian put up bible verse that we are adapting as our motto. It's Philippians 4:13. Look it up. ;-)

Back to the building... There were more tears, frustration, etc. Sam brought me a cold drink. Julie read to Jordan. Both kept telling me how proud they were of me, and how I could do it, I was almost done...

When it came time to fit the drawers in the kids gave me a drum roll.

The first one didn't fit. DAMN IT!

I wondered if I screwed everything in too tight or something. Ian came home and wanted desperately to help but I wouldn't let him. I am so stubborn and I wanted to be able to say I did it all by myself.

Why?

Because Ian does everything around here. He does everything for me. For everyone. If something needs to be fixed or put together, Ian does it. Everyone asks him for help. If I start something and can't finish it, its Ian that has to. I wanted to do this on my own so that he didn't have to.

And I finished it. By myself. At 8:17 pm. 11 hours and 2 minutes.

Here is Jordan perched on her new dresser.



Whew. Now I want to build something else. Maybe I'll go volunteer for Habitat For Humanity.

Whoa Kate. Easy now. Let's not get crazy.

Speaking of volunteering, I'm meeting with our Associate Pastor tomorrow after my morning Ladies Coffee Hour group to discuss the Girl's Club. I'm actually hoping that I can do this. I'm getting pretty excited about it.

Ian went to a meeting at the church that is affiliated with my children's school. They attend a Catholic school even though we practice at a Baptist church. Why? Because it's a Christian school, the beliefs are the same with a few exceptions, and my taxes support the Catholic school system. There, got that out of the way.

This is the year for First Reconciliation and First Communion. As I posted before, Sam did not have his First Communion with his classmates. The priest told us at a parent info meeting that for anyone to accept communion anywhere other than a Catholic church they are committing a mortal sin. We were not going to have Julie take this sacrament either. However, we were planning on having her participate in First Reconciliation. Well, that is until Ian attended the parent info night at the church tonight.

Tonight the parish priest told everyone gathered that he is aware that there are families in the church that practice at other denominational churches, and that it was morally wrong and a sin for them to do the sacraments. (I probably have completely botched what he said...sorry Ian!)

That was all Ian needed to hear. He got up and left. I don't blame him. This priest is so rude and so is the woman who works with him. I have often felt the pull to visit this church every so often, but I won't as long as he is there. He preaches so many things that just aren't biblical. It's shocking to say the least.

Ian spoke with our Associate Pastor/Friend and he was raised as a Catholic and is willing to sit down with Julie for her "first confession". She feels very good about that.

In other news, Sam is not liking school very much this year. His teacher is homework-happy and seems to be cross with the class a lot. He finally agreed to let me make an appointment to speak with her rather than wait for the Open House next Tuesday. He was almost begging me to let him stay home from school today. He said he just couldn't go. I reminded him about Philippians 4:13 (did you look it up yet?) and he went to get dressed.

He was thrilled when I picked him up after school. He said that he is now a Kindergarten Class Helper. He has given up his morning and afternoon recess to work with the little kids (I sooo want to say kindergarten babies!). He's so happy he "got the job". We're very proud of him for putting others before himself and explained how wonderful that he would serve others this way. What a great kid.

Whew. That's about all for today. If you've read this far then you deserve a piece of chocolate for your patience!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses! :)

    I'll take the coffee...mmmmm....with some Timbits please. :)

    YAY YOU for getting that project done. You surely displayed sticktoitiveness (try looking that up! :D

    Lovely verse - I need to keep repeat that daily!

    And your children...your children are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate I am so proud of you! He gave you the strength to persevere! Way to go!

    I'm proud of Sam too - being the Kindergarten helper is perfect for him! He has such a kind heart, and I'm sure it will rub off on those little lambs!

    The comments of that priest still urk me because I know it's not true! I'm glad your Pastor will be able to provide Julie's first confession.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the polka dots! Very pretty. It's so sad that Sam isn't enjoying his class this year. That is how 3rd grade was for us... We were BOTH counting the days until it was over with. This year has started out much better - thank goodness he is back to loving school more than ever! I hope you are able to work things out with his teacher.

    PS I still plan to call CPS about you sticking a baby on top of a dresser. Who's holding her up there for goodness sake?? ;)

    ReplyDelete