Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Farewell

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send Me!" - Isaiah 6:8

Tonight was the commissioning service at the church for our friends Barb and Gerry as they prepare to leave for the DR of Congo, Africa this Saturday to serve in the mission field for the next two years.

I can still remember sitting in their backyard on that warm summer evening as they told me how they had applied to a company called Medair and were hoping to be accepted and placed in Africa to serve the Lord as fulltime missionaries. It was inconceivable to me that two people with a lovely home, good jobs and a wealth of family and friends would leave all that behind. I felt my chest tighten because I could not imagine them not being here.

This has not an easy process for them. It's taken them a lot of thought and prayer, and ultimately placing themselves squarely in the palm of God's hand and trusting Him completely. It has been a blessing to have been able to see faith in action, to see two followers of Christ not only listen for the call of the Lord but to then step out in complete faith to trust Him.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tonight we gathered as a church family to pray over them as they prepare to leave. Their house group put on a great skit with a song tailored to them. The Jr High Youth Group had a send off for them as well. Gerry brought Fear Factor to this group and they were pretty nervous as to what the Jr Highs might try to get them to eat! Apparently one of their favourites is a Happy Meal (complete with drink) mixed in a blender then you drink it. Gross right? Not as gross as putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth and then taking a drink of club soda and keeping it in your mouth to see who can last the longest. Ugh! My personal favourite is one he demonstrated for us years ago: jam slathered onto bare feet then wiped with two pieces of bread. Yep..,you guess it... then you eat it. LOL. Oh the things I missed not having ever been on a youth retreat. (not!)

It was very powerful to sit in the sanctuary as we all prayed over them, thanking the Lord for their lives, for their willingness to be His light in the darkness, to follow His will for their lives, for protection for them, for those of us left behind. For inspiring us to be better Christians. Lots of tears were flowing. These are such quality people. You don't encounter that very often in this world.

It was hard to hug them goodbye, knowing it will be an entire year before we see them again when they come to visit us. I am so lousy with goodbyes! I cry every time and last night was so different.

I am excited for them as they prepare to embark on this journey. I know they will impact the people of Bunia as deeply as they have impacted us here in our city. I can't wait to hear of the things they are doing in His name.

Thank you, Gerry and Barb. Thank you for showing us what faith in action truly looks like. Until we meet again....

"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

2 comments:

  1. That is completely amazing that they are doing that. I wish them health, happiness and a safe trip while they are there. I will keep them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is completely amazing that they are doing that. I wish them health, happiness and a safe trip while they are there. I will keep them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete