Monday, December 24, 2007

Baby News

It's funny how a year ago I was so excited about the possibility of having another child, and here I am already 6 months pregnant. I'll be 37 when this child arrives.... and likely in a retirement home when highschool graduation rolls around!

I'll start this story at the beginning. Always the best place to start.

I had been hoping since the spring to become pregnant but as each month passed I was trying not to be too blue. It had only been a couple of months after all, but with my age I figured it would take a little longer than my younger days. It was about a week after my period was due when I realized it hadn't arrived. I picked up a test on my way home from going to the movies with my friend and decided to take it first thing the next morning. I wasn't too enthused because I'd tested two months in a row and was disappointed. I ended up waking up at 4 am so decided to test right then. The test turned positive immediately and I just stood there staring at it in shock. I wished I'd bought TWO so I could have been sure!

I went back to bed and Ian rolled over and asked if I was ok. I said yes and he asked if I was sure. I said "I'm pregnant" and turned on the light to show him the test. He wasn't surprised at all. Me, I laid there until it was time to get up feeling all warm and happy.

I called my mom at 8:00. I knew I woke her up but I couldn't wait any longer. Ian's parents came for dinner that weekend and we told them then. A few days later we told the children.

Sam was not enthused at all. He knew I wanted another baby and he was very vocal about not wanting another sibling. If he found me holding a baby at church he would hurry over to tell me to give "it" back. Julie was thrilled from the start.

I had to find a doctor! My regular doctor retired in the spring. A friend of mine recommended her doctor and he agreed to take me on. HE. I've never had a male doctor before. Talk about freaky. He is very nice though and very assuring. He sent me for my first ultrasound at 9 weeks and everything looked good. The heart was beating nice and strong. I didn't have a lot of morning sickness, but I think that because I was off work I was able to rest as much as I needed to and that helped a lot.

I had my second ultrasound at about 21 weeks and we were too early for them to record gender. But Baby looked so beautifully formed and healthy. When I went for my next prenatal appointment at 24 weeks and I was told I needed to go back as some things couldn't been seen. I went in the very next day and got to see the baby again. The first two techicians couldn't see the outflow tracks so the second one suggested I walk around to see if we could get the baby to move positions. I walked and jumped and a half hour later went in again and the baby had moved from the regular transverse position (head to the right, bum to the left) and was almost head down. She got to see everything and let me know we are having a little girl.

Wow. Another little girl. I am SO excited. I would have been just as excited if it was another boy too, I have to admit. Her name will be Jordan Theresa Faith. She is a fairly active baby. Not too much though. She lets me know she's around and kicks a lot when she hears Ian speaking. Julie was the same way. We saw her mouth moving constantly in the ultrasound so we figure she'll be another chatterbox like her sister!

Julie was thrilled to find out she'd be getting another sister. Sam was pretty disappointed at first but has come around. He plans to use her to tease Julie by saying that Jordan is prettier than her sister. Honestly! Now they both kiss my belly constantly and Sam fusses over me, making sure to hold my hand while we're walking, to ask if I'm ok if I cough or sneeze and even helps me off the couch.

It's amazing when I think that a year ago I was aching for another child. And I wonder how different life will be a year from today.

I go through my moments of "what have I done??" that's for sure. To think that with two totally self sufficient children I am starting all over again. Diapers, bottles, sleepless nights, ect. But then I get this huge rush of excitement that I get to do this again. I have two amazing children already and to be able to do this again is such a blessing. God cared about the deepest desire of my heart and He blessed me. Again. Me. Who am I that He should bless me so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment